Hey!

So this is something for my class, but if you’re still interested, read on!

Anyways, today I’m going to be reviewing a popular anime: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime.

I tried to keep this spoiler-free but there are still a few minor spoilers on here. So if you would like to enjoy the anime first, then please go watch it!

Let’s start!

Image result for that time i got reincarnated as a slime

Summary and Plot (7.5/10)

(for viewing purposes I’m going to refer to the anime as “Slime”)

So Slime is about a guy named Mikami Satoru, who was stabbed by a thief and is reincarnated into a fantasy world as a slime. It’s just like what the title of the anime suggests. After meeting the legendary dragon Veldora, Satoru got another name: Rimuru Tempest. He and Veldora became friends and Rimuru started off on his adventure.

He met the goblins and created a village that would later grow into a country. While expanding his country, Rimuru met and befriended (and also fought) many people and creatures alike.

The main plot of the anime seemed to be the struggle between the humans and the Demon Lords and how Rimuru’s country seemingly gets involved in it. It seems to be kind of like the cliche hero vs demon sort of anime. But what makes this more unique is how the protagonist doesn’t have any “tragic backstory” that gives him the motivation to defeat the enemy. Instead, it’s focused on Rimuru learning how the world he’s in works through his interactions with it and the inhabitants of it.

Another unique thing about Slime is how unlike the stereotypical hero vs demon where the hero is some kind of human with a secret hidden power that is potentially game changing, our hero is a slime. Our hero is ironically one of the weakest monsters in many anime and games alike (though if you watched the anime or read the manga, Rimuru is far from weak). This plot twist on the cliche genre adds a sort of aspect to the anime that makes you want to check it out.

All in all, the plot is very commonly used in many anime but the way Slime puts in all these twists to it makes it worth watching.

Characters (7.5/10)

The characters of Slime are really enjoyable to watch. Though so far it doesn’t focus much on the supporting cast, the interactions between Rimuru and the goblins, adventurers, Veldora, and many other things are really interesting and you can see the development through the interactions.

I would love to see more character developments in the supporting characters in the future as an anime solely focused on the main protagonist lacks some sort of feel to it.

Comparison (8/10)

So when compared to other anime, Slime is your standard isekai anime. It can be compared to In Another World With My Smartphone or Overlord where the protagonist is pretty overpowered

For the comparison, I’m going to be comparing the story of Slime and Overlord. There are spoilers on Overlord below so if you don’t want any spoilers, feel free to click away.

Anyways Slime and Overlord have the same approach where the protagonist has overpowered moves and is basically immortal. Both protagonists are exploring the world where they are sent to at first and slowly developing a goal to work towards to with allies from that world backing them up. Even their personalities are on a basic concept, the same. While Slime and Overlord are similar is many ways, what makes them different is the execution. The protagonist of Overlord is sort of an anti-hero (pretty much a villain at this point) while Rimuru from Slime is the cliche hero.

I feel like what made me so drawn to Slime is the fact that I really hated Ainz, the protagonist of Overlord. The way he has no mercy for anything that isn’t useful to him is the exact opposite of Rimuru, who has infinite kindness for his enemies. Rimuru would rather avoid a fight if possible and if he got into a fight, he would try to talk the enemy out of it. Ainz, on the other hand, shows off every fight and wants to build his fortress as the strongest in the world. Even their previously mentioned goals are very different. Rimuru wants to build a country where there are no prejudices between any species, a safe haven for monsters and humans alike. Ainz however wants to be the dominating powerhouse of the world and basically enslave those who are useful to him.

Both anime took a mundane concept and twists it into their own completely different stories.

Conclusion

Slime is definitely an anime I would recommend watching. It’s comedic with a thought-out story line. And with future character growth, I feel like you can get attached to every one of the wide cast of characters. Rimuru’s bond with different monsters and people feels not really forced upon you.

In the giant world of Slime, you can definitely find something that interests you.

Overall, Slime gets a 7.6 stars out of 10 from me and that rating will surely only go up from here.

Bye!